In Nanaimo we met Jackie Howardson, a life-long resident who lives near Nob Hill Park, the place where she shares a tale of mischievous boys, a zipline, and broken wrists.
We met the Sillem family outside of Mon Petite Choux Bakery on Commercial Street in Nanaimo where they feel most connected to their city as a result of their weekend bike trips to the bakery for “second breakfast.”
Now, GET ON THE MAP!
If you want to be part of this exciting experiment, follow the instructions on the right and email your video to Sharon Karsten (firstname.lastname@example.org). Sign a release form, answer a few questions, and you will get your connect-spot story on the ‘Where is here?’ map.
We invite you to go to your favourite place in Courtenay's, Nanaimo's, or Port Alberni's downtown areas and record a video that tells us in less than 1.5 minutes: who you are, where you are, and why you feel connected to your community in that place.
- Horizontal (Landscape) Orientation
- No longer than 1.5 minutes in duration
- “Connect spot story” told in one take
- Retake as often as necessary
- Email to email@example.com
Pay attention to the following while filming:
- Ensure the background is attractive and doesn't detract from the speaker.
- Use a close-up frame to get speaker’s head and shoulders, with some “breathing space” above his or her head.
- Make sure the background noise level will not overpower the speaker’s voice.
Want to learn more about cultural mapping?Join the Symposium taking place in Courtenay, BC, July 20 - 22, 2016: This 3-day event brings together over 25 cultural mapping specialists from Canada and beyond to reflect on current practice, exchange knowledge and innovate within the field. Presenters include municipal development actors, academics and artists (many fit into several of these categories). The event includes keynote speakers, panel discussions and art interventions. Click to find out more, or to register for this exciting symposium.
Our sponsors & Funders
We gratefully aknowledge the support provided to this project by a wide range of funders and sponsors.