Port Alberni Mappers
We then traveled to Port Alberni where we met Tim Pley at a special bench at the Harbour Quay where he brings his coffee and meets several friends that have been congregating at this bench for years to enjoy fresh air and good conversation.
Then we met Jolene Dick in front of the Tsunami Art Project by Shay The Artist in Port Alberni’s ‘Uptown’ that Dick, along with other Port Alberni Young Professionals, were instrumental in having installed.
Now, GET ON THE MAP!
If you want to be part of this exciting experiment, follow the instructions on the right and email your video to Sharon Karsten (firstname.lastname@example.org). Sign a release form, answer a few questions, and you will get your connect-spot story on the ‘Where is here?’ map.
We invite you to go to your favourite place in Courtenay's, Nanaimo's, or Port Alberni's downtown areas and record a video that tells us in less than 1.5 minutes: who you are, where you are, and why you feel connected to your community in that place.
- Horizontal (Landscape) Orientation
- No longer than 1.5 minutes in duration
- “Connect spot story” told in one take
- Retake as often as necessary
- Email to email@example.com
Pay attention to the following while filming:
- Ensure the background is attractive and doesn't detract from the speaker.
- Use a close-up frame to get speaker’s head and shoulders, with some “breathing space” above his or her head.
- Make sure the background noise level will not overpower the speaker’s voice.
Want to learn more about cultural mapping?
Join the Symposium taking place in Courtenay, BC, July 20 – 22, 2016:
This 3-day event brings together over 25 cultural mapping specialists from Canada and beyond to reflect on current practice, exchange knowledge and innovate within the field. Presenters include municipal development actors, academics and artists (many fit into several of these categories). The event includes keynote speakers, panel discussions and art interventions.
Our sponsors & Funders
We gratefully aknowledge the support provided to this project by a wide range of funders and sponsors.